C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 23:57:49 -0700
An opportunity has arisen to increase the independence of the people with
speech disabilities by making telephones more accessible to them through a
federally mandated service called Speech-to-Speech (STS). The Federal
Communications Commission is requesting public input on proposed
improvements to the telephone assistance service for people with speeches
disabilities, like mine from CP.  Our small non-profit see
(www.speechtospeech.org) can even file for you at the FCC website if you
like.

Unfortunately, many people with speech disabilities are too disabled to be
self-advocates. They depend on you and me for that help.

Below is suggested general text. If you are willing to let me file on your
behalf, would you please send me ([log in to unmask]) your name and address
and any changes to the text that you would like?

Best wishes,

Bob

Bob Segalman, Ph.D.
Speech Communications Assistance by Telephone, Inc.
Sacramento, CA

Suggested comments.  Adding information about your agency is suggested.

Operators needs to stay on the call long enough to get used to the way
people with speech disability talk.   Operators should tell callers that
everything is confidential.  People with speech disability need an easy way
to reach Speech-To-Speech.  The FCC must stop people in jails from abusing
STS. More people with speech disabilities need to be taught to use STS.  All
these statements also apply to people who use STS on the computer.  STS
should be a national service.  And there should be competition as that makes
STS work better.  The operators need to be paid enough so that they do a
good job and they need good training.