C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Nov 1999 23:42:47 EST
In a message dated 11/03/1999 9:25:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I'm all for using peaceful, nonviolent methods, but I'm begining to
 have a problem with ADAPT.    I'm sorry, but I don't think our movement
 can be served by  diluting and distorting truth.  Anyone else have this
 Problem? >>

I think you're absolutely right.  How can we trust a release from ADAPT in
the future?   Unfortunately, If they are making similar statements to the
general public, it hurts the credibility of the entire disability rights
movement.

To switch gears a little (but this is sort of in the same vein), I went to
the Fair Housing hearing last Thursday and frankly, I was embarrassed.  A
couple of PWDs showed up dressed so inappropriately, that I wanted to ask
them if they thought they were going to a bowling alley.  Business attire is
the "uniform of the day" on Capitol Hill (and anywhere else business is being
conducted), and if you want to be taken seriously there, you have to dress
for the occasion.  You can't wear a tee shirt and jeans.  I tread lightly on
this subject, because I am aware that people on SSDI and such are strapped
for cash.  I also know that people may honestly not realize the importance of
this.  Additionally, their participation was laudable; I acknowledge that.
But -- the first impression will be the person's appearance, and proper
attire is a requisite if an activist wants to look credible.  Activism is a
noble profession.

But yes Mike, I agree with you wholeheartedly.  Dr. King continually preached
a philosophy of nonviolent resistance.

Tribal blessings (Boy, I like that.  You might see it again),
Betty