C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 5 May 2002 03:30:26 -0700
--- "BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> So, let me see here. If someone asked me direction
> to somewhere that I do not
> know, but they expect me to know them; I just guess
> at directions which sound
> impressive?
>
> Bobby

I don't kow about that Bobby. Because of the cardiac
arrest and pulmonary hemmorage when Alex was 3 weeks
old and just a bit over 2 pounds, the result as seen
on a CT scan was that basically all the white matter
of his brain had been destroyed. In your studies of
the  human body what would you have told me of Alex's
future capabilities? I can understand where the
doctors were coming from at that point.  Many, many
people to this day wouldn't consider that Alex"had
sure fooled the doctors" because he still requires an
awful lot of physical care in dressing,toileting and
other physical aspects of his life. To me it is
important that he feels ok enough about himself to
feel that HE fooled the doctors. I do know that the
infant brain is very plastic and capable of repair to
an extent but the lack of white matter was confirmed
at 4 yrs of age. I've learned I will never understand
physical success here. Medically, Alex really
shouldn't be walking, talking,eating etc just as the
doctors said. There are kids with minimal damage by
medical tests,scans etc., who don't do half of what
Alex does. So how can the doctors say anything but "in
my experience this type of damage leads to these
consquences, even if they are harsh sounding.
Joanne