C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 05:33:07 EST
In a message dated 02/29/2000 8:55:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I will also say that I made an early mistake with my daughter, because I
 didn't want people to believe I had children to care for me, so I delayed
 somewhat giving her age-appropriate responsibilities, like picking up toys,
 etc. Fortunately, she's still 6, so there's time to correct this.

Don't worry about it Mom.  My Dad totally spoiled me through the years, but I
have a deep sense of responsibility.  He was an upstanding citizen and
mindful of other people's needs, rights, and opinions.  That was like a
continuing visual aid, and it won in the final analysis.

I've got another story about him to share, if that's okay.  I'm on a roll
thinking about my Pop, so I hope nobody minds.  It's a good example of what I
am saying, but I am enjoying the opportunity to blow his posthumous horn a
little.

He was the "house husband" of our family since he retired when I was three
(he was 55 when I was born).  He made friends with a man who owned a laundry
mat in Alexandria, and one day they were talking about upcoming surgery this
man was going to have. He was worried about not being able to keep the
laundry mat open during the time that he would be in the hospital and
recovering at home.  Out of the blue, my Dad said he would keep the laundry
mat open for this man, and that's what he did.  He took me to school, went to
the laundry mat for the day, then closed it briefly to pick me up from
school.  I went back to the laundry mat with him and did my homework there
while he was doing other people's laundry.  This lasted about two weeks, I
seem to remember.

The upshot of this story is that my Dad was the retired postmaster of
Alexandria.  He was well known as a respected community leader, and was
frequently in the civic company of the city leadership. He also had a few
acquaintances in Congress and the Virginia Senate.  Locally speaking, he was
fairly well known.  I didn't realize this when I was a child, but now that I
look back, I see a man who -- in spite of his local reputation -- didn't
think he was too good to help a local business man, and do other people's
laundry in the process.  He didn't care about things like that.  I think that
is just too cool!

He spoiled me all right.  I had him wrapped around my little finger, but he
showed me everyday how a responsible adult should behave.  It was what I
constantly saw
that guided me, and still guides me.

Thanks for putting up with another story about the old man.

Betty (Press Agent for Pop)