C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:45:18 +0800
Hi Michael,

My mother used to use one of those leases for my little brother or
sister back in the 80's in NZ, whenever we went to the city for the
day.  Very sensible - the risk of a child running into the traffic is
something not to take a chance with.  People used to comment about it,
but geez, it's not like they had to wear the thing 24/7.  Same people
used to make comments about her having me in a pushchair till I was
seven (also just while in the city), and I've had people ask me now -
did I find it embarrassing.  I tell them no, of course not, made a day
in the city much more enjoyable when I didn't have to concentrate on
staying upright or keeping up.
And you are right, with all the kidnappings, you have to be practical
and minimise the chance of something happening.  The people who
complain would be the first ones to kick up a fuss if Susan ran off
and was injured while you were looking after her, and you were unable
to catch up with her or if she was kidnapped.

Rayna