C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:55:11 -1000
That is such an interesting symptom. I wonder what causes this physical
reaction to toenail clipping. I feel nothing when I clip mine. I've heard
of the clothing tags bothering the neck but not this. Sounds miserable. The
only time I had water retention was when I was pregnant and I slept with my
feet elevated and was put on a low salt diet and it helped. Very bland and
tasteless food though.
Recently I got Case volley ball kneepads. He had lost the ability to weight
change, always hard for him but even more so recently because of knee
injuries due to falling. He loves to run and falls on his knees a lot. The
pads work great and he loves them and now wants wrist pads but I have not
found any good ones. Any suggestions are welcome. I want him protected but
with the most freedom.
Anyhow, as a baby one of the first things we noticed was that his toes were
tightly cramped in a tensed position and turned under also. The braces
stopped the underturn and now his toes are flaccid but in the correct
anatomical position. So now part of physical therapy consists of exercises
to teach him to use those toe muscles again. He tries to pull a towel
forward with his toes.
 From my observation of my grandsons cerebral palsy progression and of the
many interventions offered and practiced I think that the most important
thing for a good outcome is early intervention with physical and
occupational therapy, before age one. He was not diagnosed until 16 months
when I told his mother she needed to use the cp word with the doctor and
see what he said as I was pretty certain he had this.  Now, I take 7 year
old Case to lomi lomi massage and  any alternative therapies that the
people suffering this brain injury think help ought to be incorporated into
their daily lives. We are still searching for the right interventions.
Because CP has a broad range of symptoms, it is important that the cp
adults make their own health care decisions. I am teaching Case that he
will have to make his decisions someday so he needs to notice what works
and what doesn't.
Has anyone ever used those shoes with the springs on the back of them? His
PT uses those shoes and they look like they would help a toe walker.
Any how I am rambling and hope everyone has a very Happy Thanksgiving.

All the best,

Linda