C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 12:45:48 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Virtual Majordomo Account [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On
Behalf Of Justice For All Moderator
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2000 11:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Justin Dart on Americans with Disabilities for Gore!

                      Justice For All

     Justin Dart on Americans with Disabilities for Gore

Dear Colleague:

The decisions and the elections of 2000 will determine the fate of
Americans with and without disabilities for decades to come.  We must
elect a President, a Congress and members of government at all levels
who will support ADA, IDEA, universal health care, long term community-
based services and all other empowerment initiatives.  We must elect a
President who will appoint judges who are dedicated to the protection
of our constitutional civil rights, rather than those who would retreat
to the states' rights of pre-Abraham Lincoln America.

I do not presume to tell you how to vote.  I have decided to support
Al Gore on the basis of his record which comes closest to my political
ideal: America for All.

Enclosed is a copy of a full page ad which some of us placed in the
Concord (New Hampshire) Monitor on January 31st, the eve of the
Presidential Primary.  This attempts to explain our reasons for
supporting Vice President Gore.

Among the Vice President's opponents are several fine Americans.
We do not recall Mr. Bradley's contacts with people with disabilities
or his battles for our rights being anywhere near as frequent or as
strong as those of Al Gore.  Mr. McCain and Mr. Bush are pledged to
give strong consideration to the politics of the Republicans on the
far right who have opposed virtually all of our rights and empowerment
initiatives.

Whoever you decide to support, I urge you to get into politics with
every ounce of passion and energy you've got.  Not only voting, but
also actively campaigning for the federal, state and local candidates
of your choice.

We need real patriots like you in the campaign of every authentic
supporter of disability rights.  If you choose to support Vice President
Gore, please contact Mark Smith at: 601/373-3085, [log in to unmask] or
Becky Ogle at: 301/493-5221, [log in to unmask]

I love you.

Lead on.

Justin Dart, Jr

--

We, a committee of Democrat and Republican advocates for 54 million
Americans with disabilities, feel so strongly about the election of

Gore Listens
Gore Acts
Gore Has the Record

AMERICA STANDS ON THE THRESHOLD OF A GOLDEN AGE of science and free
enterprise that includes all.  At the same time we are confronted by
an aggressive, heavily financed minority of the Republican party that
attempts to take us back to the days of power and privilege for the
few.  We are profoundly concerned for the future of our grand children.

THE NEXT PRESIDENT WILL BEAR CRUSHING RESPONSIBILITIES.  WE SUPPORT
AL GORE on the basis of his personal strength and especially on the
basis of the Clinton-Gore record.  They have led us to the greatest
America in a history of great Americas.  Personal incomes, home
ownership, business profits, stocks have reached record levels.
Unemployment, interest rates and crime are down.  Federal deficits
have been eliminated.

CLINTON-GORE HAVE EMPOWERED PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES AS NEVER BEFORE.
They have appointed numerous qualified leaders of our community to
positions of significant public responsibility.  They have met
personally with our representatives on many occasions.  Members of
their administration have met us hundreds of times.

CLINTON-GORE HAVE STOOD FIRM FOR OUR RIGHTS under the Americans with
Disabilities Act, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act,
Medicare and Medicaid.  They have fought successfully to pass the
Work Incentives Improvement Act that will enable millions of us to
go to work without losing our health care.  They have created a
landmark cabinet level task force to promote the employment of people
with disabilities  and much more.

AMERICA TODAY IS THE GREATEST EVER.  BUT WE STILL HAVE PROMISES TO KEEP.
While most Americans are living better, too many are still excluded from
the good life.  There is still hunger and homelessness.  There are still
millions who lack quality health care and millions who face old age with
no guarantees of security.  There is still discrimination against women,
working people and minorities.  In spite of our gains, millions of
people
with disabilities are still the poorest of the poor.  Millions of us
70% - are unemployed.  Millions of us are segregated from our
communities
in institutions, nursing homes and back rooms.

WE BELIEVE THAT AL GORE IS BEST QUALIFIED TO LEAD US IN SOLVING THESE
PROBLEMS. He has a record of hands-on experience, decisive action and
concrete accomplishment that no other candidate can come close to
matching.
Tipper Gore, a strong advocate for people with disabilities, is a
special
bonus.

WHATEVER YOUR CHOICE, WE URGE YOU TO BECOME ACTIVE in this crossroads
campaign.  God bless you and yours.  God bless New Hampshire.  God bless
America.

Americans with Disabilities for Gore: (202/488-7684) and New Hampshire
Citizens with Disabilities for Gore (603/226-2977)

--
Fred Fay
Chair, Justice For All

Register to Vote Online at http://www.fec.gov/votregis/vr.htm