C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 01:59:32 EST
> Now I certinaly did not want to do the ski swap and this is the problem
>  people won't take no for an answer.

They will if that's the only answer you'll give them.  Anee, you have the
right to say "no."

I wish I had been more assertive with people when I was in my twenties and
thirties.  I let people "who wouldn't take no for an answer" run me ragged.
When I needed help though, most of them were nowhere to be found.  In
retrospect, I cannot believe the way I used to let people abuse me.

I tell you Anee, if there is anything that jerks my jaw (makes me mad), it's
having to say "no" twice.  When I say "no" the first time, by God I mean it.
As a matter of fact, I've been known to tell people exactly that when I've
felt that the occasion called for it.  I smile when I say it, and nobody
takes advantage of me anymore.

People respect that too.  They respect that attitude a lot more than they
would if I bowed down to them every time they wanted something.

Anee, I've admired you for some time.  I think you know that.  Your spirit
for volunteerism and concern for others is a rare and valuable commodity!
You are someone others should want to emulate, and you will leave a great
legacy for them to follow.  Please though, please don't let people take
advantage of your kind and generous nature.  They will if you allow them to,
and you are too good for that.  Again I say, you have the right to say "no."

You were put on this earth to do great things Anee, but that doesn't include
catering to other people whims.  If you don't want to do a particular thing
someone asks you to do, you don't have to do it.

You don't have to do it!

Love you girl,
Betty