C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:29:19 -0400
I agree with you, Mag, but it has to come from both sides.  The child (or
grown-up child) has to be ready to take on the responsibilities that come
with being dependent.  I've known far too many disabled people who could have
taken care of themselves very well but weren't ready emotionally to leave the
nest. (and needless to say, I know quite a few AB people like that, too! ;) )

Having said that, I can tell you the parting is inevitable, for if you don't
leave the nest, the parents leave you because they will die; it's all a part
of life.  I was on my own for many years until my mother got so ill she
needed help and my sister and I moved in to look after her.  Yes when she
died, it was very sad, but I think if I hadn't left home before, it would
have been much worse to go out on my own after she died. It's best to be
prepared before you have to.

Kat