C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harleen Kaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:40:08 -0400
Sorry for the cross-post, but I'm not sure where everyone is from, but I saw
this by chance and thought it fascinating.  If anyone is able to go, do let
us know what you thought!
~Harleen

http://www.australianstage.com.au/reviews/micf-2011/what-the-****-is-normal-%7C-francesca-martinez.html

*Francesca Martinez* has cerebral palsy and calls herself a "wobbly girl".
Her show, *What the **** Is Normal?* poses the idea that there is no normal,
as normal is different for every person. Her venue, The Upstairs
Lounge@Hairy Little Sista feels like a conference room since black curtains
hang over the windows and there's a tiny, hard-to-see stage. It's an awkward
space and not ideal for intimate comedy and story telling. Never-the-less *
Martinez* manages to share personal stories and some good yarns including
how she got cast in Ricky Gervis's *Extras*, experiences at the Adelaide
Fringe, childhood and early love affairs.

Some of her material is more endearing than laugh out loud funny but it's
all engaging. She calls herself "neurologically inconsistent" and talks
freely about the disappointments surrounding disability, high school
alienation and awkward encounters with the opposite sex. Through it all, *
Martinez* is honest, upbeat and gently self-mocking.

In a comedy festival filled with male points of view, it's refreshing to
hear from this very unique woman, who for all her perceived differences, is
not dissimilar in hopes, politics and day to day trials than anyone else.
Which begs the thought that either we're all normal or nobody's normal. That
debate could run ad infinitum. In the meantime, the sassy *Martinez* is
breaking down barriers and stereotypes and having a lot of fun in the
process.

2011 Melbourne International Comedy Festival
*What the **** Is Normal?*
*Francesca Martinez*

*Venue:* The Upstairs Lounge @ Hairy Little Sista |240 Little Collins St,
Melbourne