C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 23:05:58 +0800
YUUUUUCKKKK!!!  This show sounds horrendous, I do hope it is one show
that Australia won't import from the US.  I would be curious as to how
long this show would last on the box.

And as far as the days of sideshows and freakshow and the disabled
being exploited by them returning, I don't know that they ever left.
I think society just covered it up by renaming them, Telethons and
Appealathons.  They get to stare at us, and at the same time they have
the warm fuzzy feeling that they are helping `the less fortunate'.
Just a way of them justifying their pruient attitudes.  It is a
socially acceptable form of voyeurism.  Charity organisations are just
big freakshows, except now, instead of the least physically `normal'
of us being exibited, they use cute young kids as `poster children'.
And for the amount of times I'm openly stared at and pointed at on the
street every day, I'd say we are all still in a gigantic freakshow,
only the public aren't paying.  I got stopped by some tourists one day
who wanted me to take a photo of them next to my scooter!!!  I told
them to get lost of course.

Rayna