C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:35:06 -0500
Hi Joy,

        When I read this - what jumped out at me was - Your father hadn't
ask anyone's premission to be there.  You don't get to drive any speed just
becasue no other car is on the road - the rules still apply.Well, to be the
voice of reason here - generally the rules are men aren't allowed in women
dressing rooms. Keeps down the preverts and peeking toms!! So while the
saleswoman handled a poprtion of this badly this badly - she also had a
right to an explantion why he was there. If your dad had simple said he was
there to help you and why - it looks like it would have been averted - if
you need special help for a disability - its going to have to be mentioned
in public. I am sure you can write this up to show the salesperson in the
worst light possible - but in the future you may want to review a situation
and see at what point a simple action can divert an unpleasant situation.
Frankly, had that been me - and I got no explantion - I would have called
security. I don't mess around. Your father opened himself up to a damgerous
situation - another woman seeing that could have started screaming and
yelling - rape - prevert and had your father arrested. So while you can
complain about the pat on the head - you might want to consider without
permission - he was in the wrong. I am truly distressed to see eveyone
hopped on your bandwagon - with reading what you have without a grain of
salt. I would not walk in to a gentleman's dressing room empty or not - to
help someone without asking permission - as far as I am concerned - just
becasue you are disabled doesn't mean you get to be unpolite nor break
rules. Had you ask they might even had a salesperson assist you. Before you
scream bloody murder make sure - you are not in the wrong.

        Write a letter to the corporate offices and to the May Co. who owns
it. Which store is it?  I can mention to to Sam the Store Manager - in the
Hecht's I work for - They are very proud of their disability equality and
have employes  with CP( one just won a corporate award). One thing to keep
in mind most stores in order to keep overhead down hire part-time people at
minium wage - there is no fancy senistivity training. There are departments
in these stores that are run by concessions and we work for the Guest
comapny even if we wear Hecht's badges. We get depending on the company do
get such training. Which answers the question of why service can vary so
much from department, to department.

        By the way corporate does listen and research all complaints - I had
an incident with a woman at Christmas - over a box. I caught - lots coals
from the hot place over it - since I had gone the extra mile for her - it
was stupid power play, in an effort to get more than what was allowed.

                                   Brightest Blessings
                                         Trisha