C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
I. S. Margolis
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 03:45:47 -0500
Interesting that you discuss "fix" in the physical aspects rather than
social, cultural, economic, political, etc., possibilities.

Perhaps how we perceive ourselves and our world "confines" us more than
our wheelchairs--which, after all, we "use" for mobility and to
"unconfine" ourselves.  Notice how frequently writers refer to us
wheelies as "confined" to our wheelchairs rather than being empowered or
liberated by them, or simply using them, or finding the fact worthy or
necessary of mention.

Too few of us have yet mastered the art, or is that the science?, of
negating the negative.  ;-)

S.