C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anthony Arnold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 23:22:30 -0500
Speaking of luxury items, when my parents, teachers and therapists first
were working out funding for my first communication device almost 18 years
ago now, they got told by our insurance company, that it was a "luxury
item", and they weren't going to help pay.  Until today, my Mom still wants
to go to pay the insurance company a personal visit with some duck tape on
hand to tape up their mouths for at least a day to see if they would be
still calling a voice a "luxury item".   I must say over the years and with
the success storys like mine, insurance companies have gotten a lot better
about funding communication devices, but we have to hit heads sometimes.
Once I was working with a Mom on some repairs on her son's communication
device, and their insurance company had agreed to pay for us to repair it,
so we did the needed repairs, but however the insurance company played
around, so we couldn't send the device back to the kid.  Somehow the Mom
called and got me, and I said "OK, I want you to call the insurance company
and get your son on the phone and have them explain to him, why he couldn't
get his voice back ".   That definitely worked because they automatically
paid us, I think that she said he started crying over the phone.  Since that
success, I have suggested that to many other parents,, because I feel that
funders listen to the actual person more than their parents or therapists,
or even people like myself who work for an actual communication device
company.

Thanks,
Anthony

Visit me at http://www.ara1.net