C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yvonne Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 08:55:22 -0400
Dear Friends,

Having any kind of disabilities should not prevent anybody from becoming a
productive member of society.  If medical doctors cannot determine the full
extent of a person’s brain damage, how can they assume that the person has
very low intelligence, especially when she or he has no way of
communicating?  In addition, how can these doctors predict the person will
never do anything?  Doctors know that science presents a lot of trial and
error.  They should say, "Since the person has no way of communicating, we
cannot determine his or her intelligence at this time.  We recommend the
person must seek therapy and education."  This way the person has hope of a
better life!

Even though nobody thought that I would not amount to anything due to having
severe Cerebral Palsy, I am an on-line psychology professor at Middlesex
County College.  If I had given up fighting up the good fight, I would have
died a long time ago. An article, entitled Her greatest lesson is her
tenacity (http://home.att.net/~ysinger/slartps.htm), was published in the
Star Ledger.  I recently wrote an essay called Teaching The “Yes, I Can”
Attitude
(http://prod.campuscruiser.com/cruiser/middlesexcc/yvonnems2369/canyes.html).

On February 16, 2007, I submitted a course proposal to teach Psychology of
Handicapped on-line for Middlesex County College. I quickly taught myself
how to search for college textbooks and software because I never received
any assistance. It was disheartening to rediscover that there are not many
college textbooks on developmental disabilities. To my amazement, there are
many textbooks about other minorities such as African Americans and Gender
Issues. Why? It is quite simple. As long as people with disabilities do not
have a voice, they must continue fighting the good fight in order to gain
equal rights and equal opportunities. When I finally found an appropriate
textbook, I was so thrilled! After the course proposal was approved on
4/4/2007, I designed Psychology of the Handicapped on-line classroom in
WebCT 4.1.1 format. I collected numerous Internet links to support the
course materials because the textbook did not come with SOFTWARE. I plan to
teach this course as an adjunct during Spring 2008. Originally, I was going
to teach it this Fall 2007.

Could you please place http://home.att.net/~ysinger/ onto your web pages?

If you want to talk more, email me at [log in to unmask] .

Fighting the good fight,

Yvonne Singer