C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:50:28 EST
In a message dated 03/01/2000 3:39:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I don't know if anybody pays attention to alarms in your area, but here
 there are so many horns, sirens and beepers going off that nobody even looks
 to see where the noise is coming from.  There are so many car alarms, for
 instance, that go off when the car is just bumped, that people just don't
 pay attention.

 Worse is when people don't want to get involved.  Muggers and such used to
 be afraid of alarms, now they just don't care...nobody wants to put
 themselves in danger to help.

I know.  I've heard somewhere that it's more advisable to yell "FIRE" if you
are in trouble, because more people will be likely to come to your aid.  From
a firefighter's standpoint, I'm not sure I'm crazy about that idea.  I'd hate
to see a fire dept. respond to something that they are not equipped to
handle.  But it does make a lot of sense.