C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 01:11:11 EDT
I just heard a story tonight that made me madder than hell.  I have a friend
who's sister is blind.  This sister was enrolled in Radford with what I
understood to be a 4.0 GPA.  Apparently, she was continually denied the
assistive devices she needed to pursue her studies, and eventually had to
leave school.  The parents paid 10K, according to my friend, for the years
tuition, and Radford was not going to refund any of the money.

I do not know the whole story, and have no way to substantiate it, but the
friend to whom I am referring has proven herself -- to my satisfaction -- to
be a credible person, generally speaking.

I do not know what action their parents are taking with regard to the
tuition.  I do not know what action this woman is taking with regard to the
discrimination.

This is supposed to have happened only two years ago.  What century is this
anyway?

Betty

In a message dated 10/23/2001 7:54:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> you know, i guess there are more angles to this question. not only how does
>  one get a student with disabillity financed in school, but, also how does a
>  parent with a disability get help in sending his/her child to college.

Betty
aut viam inveniam aut faciam
"I will either find a way or make one."