C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 12:49:01 -0400
Not sure we would fall under the "mould" category, as we've lived in three
homes in the last three years, the latest being brand, spanking, new.

I had a complete cardiac enzyme/blood panel done last week.  Seems that the
common thread for me is not magnesium, but potassium.  So, I'm drinking
cranberry juice and eating lots of bananas.  My tachycardia, PSVT, has been
around for about twelve years.  When it first started it was no big deal
(medically), because I was so young.  Now that I'm 44 it's a different
story.  The ER doc and cardiologist said that PSVT in middle-aged men is a
big cause of "sudden cardiac death".  Got a "heads up" on that one!  Things
have been pretty much under control for the last decade until just recently.
I'm now a  possible candidate for cardiac radio-ablation.

This all sucks, pretty much, because so many things are happening to me in
such a short period of time.  Same deal with my rib, Laura.  When we got
married in '90, we were both poster children for health and athleticism (CP,
notwithstanding).  Now we are sort of spiraling down with major health
isuues for each of us.  That in and of itself is no big whoop--you only have
so many days here anyway.  My concern is that we have two small kids with
both parents in marginal health.  Gotta keep a positive outlook on things,
which I think we do pretty well, but we also have to be realistic in
assessing the prospects for getting our kids through to adulthood.  I
wouldn't want to bet the farm that both of us make it that long.  There are
just too many checks in the negative column.  That was brought home to me
the other day when we both tried to get supplemental life insurance through
our employers.  We each got identical (almost) letters from the underwriters
saying "What??? Are you nuts?!."  It would be funny if it weren't for the
kids.

-Kyle