C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 15:38:09 -0400
The message is ready to be sent with the following file or link
attachments:

Shortcut to:
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=healthNews&storyID=8589872
Brain stimulation may aid stroke recovery
Tue May 24, 2005 11:23 AM ET

By Karla Gale
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A new therapy that uses magnetic pulses to
stimulate the brain help stroke patients recover motor function,
research suggests.

"These results are exciting because magnetic stimulation is a
non-invasive, painless therapy that can be done while patients are
awake," Dr. Felipe Fregni from Harvard Medical School in Boston said.

The treatment, called repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation
(rTMS), is applied to the unaffected brain hemisphere of stroke
patients. Stimulating the healthy side of the brain is believed to
reduce activity there and promote increased activity in the
stroke-damaged side of the brain.

With the treatment, a brief electrical current is passed through an
insulated wire coil that is placed on the scalp creating a magnetic
pulse that stimulates the outer part of the brain called the cortex.

Fregni and colleagues treated 10 patients who had experienced a stroke
within the previous 12 months and who were relearning to use their
affected hands. They underwent three stimulation sessions an hour apart.

A sham treatment was also given to patients, and six healthy control
subjects underwent the same testing protocol, to ensure that changes in
test performance could not be attributed to learning effects.

With stimulation, stroke patients improved by as much as 50 percent on
some of the tests, such as a reaction time test, compared with sham
treatment. The authors also observed improved results on the so-called
Purdue Pegboard test results, with a significant increase in the number
of correctly placed pegs.

Control subjects showed no changes in test performance over time.

Fregni pointed out that the improvements were temporary. "We believe
that if we increase the number of sessions we can increase the duration
and magnitude of the effect, so our next step will be to administer
consecutively for 10 days" and then test motor function, he added.

SOURCE: Neurology, May 24, 2005.

--------

All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content
from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only.
Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing
or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written
consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered
trademarks or trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the
world.
C Reuters 2005

Close This Window

sending or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your
e-mail security settings to determine how attachments are handled.

begin 666 newsArticle.url
M6TEN=&5R;F5T4VAO<G1C=71=#0I54DP]:'1T<#HO+W=W=RYR975T97)S+F-O
M;2]N97=S07)T:6-L92YJ:'1M;#]T>7!E/6AE86QT:$YE=W,F<W1O<GE)1#TX
[log in to unmask]<R#0I-;V1I9FEE9#U&,$8V1#$Q,SDX-C!#-3 Q.#@-"@``
`
end