C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gordon Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 17:10:18 +1200

Date:    Fri, 25 Aug 2000 00:32:42 -0400
From:    - Joy - <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Opportunity or Pity?

>I'm really in a quandary... I don't want people to pity me because of my
disability.  But, I do enjoy the privileges that I sometimes get because of
it.  I know that I get opportunities at times that wouldn't be given to
other people.  For example, today I went to an Al Gore speech, and he not
only shook my hand, but knelt down and took a picture with me.  I'm not
going to say that that wasn't awesome.  But, I feel hypocritical, because I
don't want people to treat me differently... but I like it when it's
different in a good way (like cutting in lines, or a front row seat).  Does
that make sense at all?  I don't know how to explain it.  How do you guys
deal with this?
<

Hmm - I know what you mean - like people "over-compensating" for us.. -

a hard choice to be worried / accept the good things that come your way.. - like, when i go to the local movie theatre, sometimes they give me a "child/senior" ticket - sometimes they give me the adult ticket - (theres 10-15 different staff, & ive not tried to figure if its the same staff member or not)..

on the sweets/drinks - i dont get any discount - just the normal prices as everyone else..

For me, I dont "expect" the cheaper seats, - but I gladly accept it / dont comment about it, - as the price difference on that day, wouldnt mount to much. but every little bit helps.

but when i was younger -( 10 - 15 yrs ago) - I used to take the bus to/from school - & depending on the number of noisy brats on that bus - there were seats available / not available for me to sit..

Now at that time, I was quite resilient 0- & had taken all forms of travel, - so I didnt mind sitting or standing - most of the bus drivers knew me & didnt kick a kid out of the seats.. - but when a new bus driver was on, I didnt know whether to take the seat or not (I didnt get tyred easily then.)

Nowadays, I dont get the bus - ive shifted - but if I did, i would now gladly accept - cant stand/walk for too long nowadays before i get real wheeled .

I cant remember - been over 48 hours since ive been home. does anyone remember if i posted something about wednesday night -hospital / doctor ?

Gordon.