C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 16:09:13 EDT
Two comments (in agreement) to make about that:

First, I have ambivalent feelings about "trying on a disability."  The focus
is on what it feels like to have a disability in terms of the physical
limitations.  One day of volunteerism won't explain all of that, as you said.
 It also can't focus on the way we are treated.  I've had this disability for
three plus years now, and there are still things I'm learning about being a
minority.  I am convinced however, that I am perfectly normal for who I am,
and who I am is okay.  Trying on a disability isn't going to demonstrate that
either, and it may well be the most important lesson for an AB to take home.
I do think that there is a proper place for that kind of exercise, but I
don't think the sole emphasis should target physical limitation.

Second, if we had free access to the public through mainstream media, we
could tell our own stories.  The last time I read the employment stats in the
Washington Post, there was no mention of the disability community in an
article focusing on employment stats in minority communities.  Most other
articles I read in various papers seem to reflect the "woeful, pathetic us"
angle.  There are exceptions of course -- that prove the rule.

I know too many people here who live and die by what they read in the Post,
and what they see on CNN.  I think the media is one of our biggest stumbling
blocks.

In a message dated 05/22/2000 8:00:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]