C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 08:57:32 -0800
Hi all
  I will accept help if I really need it. In fact, I often offer help to
folks, particularly the elderly. At Christmas time a few years ago, the
mall stable of wheelchairs was being used and this old lady was in a
local eatery chatting with her daughter. They were debating whether to
stick around and wait for a wheelchair to become available, or go home.
I leaned over to their table and invited the old lady to use my chair
while they shopped. She was stunned, thinking I was kidding. I hopped
out of my chair and pushed it over to her. Never gave it a second
thought. An hour went by and I was enjoying my newspapers and breakfast.
The lady came back with the chair with a big smile on her face. Turns
out she didn't quite finish her shopping so I told her to use the chair
til she was finished. When all her shopping was finally complete, she
came back and got out of the chair and I hopped back into it. We chatted
a bit over a coffee. It was at that moment that her perception of
"dis"abled people changed forever.

Cheers!

Carla