C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim and Amanda Cossey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:59:06 -0600
They usually just hang up on Jim.

When we first started dating and before I had told my dad about him, I was
going to visit my parents who lived 8 hours from me.  Jim called there to
see if I had arrived.  I guess my mom had been receiving harassing phone
calls and my dad thought it was a harassing phone call!  He cussed him out
and hung up on him.  My mom was gone.  When she came home and found out what
happened, she explained to him about Jim's CP.  My dad still feels bad to
this day.

The thing I get the most is people that only talk to me when we are out.
They treat him as if he isn't there or can't hear of comprehend what is
being said.  A lot of the time I will answer with, "Well, I don't know, what
do you think hunny?"  Or another one that drives me crazy is people that now
talk down to me like I am not all mentally here because I married Jim.

Jim and I have the best marriage in the world, and the most perfect
friendship! I wouldn't change a thing!  He is the best person I have ever
met.  If they only knew what they were missing!

Amanda