C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 02:19:23 EST

Barden V. City of Sacramento

It's really unfortunate that we can't put ALL anti-discrimination laws under
one law. The Civil Rights laws of 1964, the Anti-discrimination laws for
women, and the Civil Rights laws for people with disabilities. All have at
their core that NOBODY should be discriminated against for something they had
no control over: Race, Sex or Disability. It's too bad we need any
anti-discrimination laws at all, but we do need them, as history will show,
so we have the laws.

In the 1980s people with disabilities said, "We are being discriminated
against in these same areas. It is a historic fact. We can't get jobs,
neighborhoods discriminate, and schools don't want us there." So, we lobbied,
we presented literally tons of valid evidence to Congress and the House. We
fought, and we thought we won when Congress drafted the ADA for the first
President Bush to sign. Now, Bush Junior is in the White House, and he and
the Supreme court, and the State of California are striking out against equal
protection under the law for part of the population.

How does it affect you? You see, disability doesn't care which sex you are,
it doesn't care what race or religion you are, it affects people in all
economic categories. I know most people would rather not think about it, but
you can acquire a disability at any point in life. To eliminate the ADA, or
take away our recourse, is simply immoral.

I think Americans are basically good people. They are aware that if the
streets are not safe for another growing population -- the elderly, as well
as people with mobility and visual impairments, then that means we can't do
that most American activity of all -- shop and generally contribute to a
capitalistic society.

Recent articles suggest the actual number of Americans with disabilities is
around 77 million. That's a tremendous resource if you think about it. You
remember the Bus strikes that paralyzed many Southern cities in the Sixties,
don't you? You remember the grape and lettuce boycotts of the 1960s and
1970s? Any business would be daft to ignore 77 million Americans and their
friends and families. We aren't going to go back into the institutions, we
aren't going back to the basements, and we won't be locked up in closets
anymore. We may not be beautiful to look at, but if you were to look inside,
you'd see us as God intended us to see all people -- as human beings all
worthy of love and respect. Yes, that's right, I said we're human beings.

A simple test: See how you would want your governor and your country to treat
you if you or a loved one were born with a disability. Yes, it is that
simple. The will to change a system is born out of your respect for all human
beings, not just those with disabilities. And, as was always taught to me;
Where there's a will, there's a way. I urge all former civil rights activists
to join us in our struggle. We must all be vigilant, because if the ADA goes,
there will be a domino effect that will affect all Civil Rights legislation.

So, Mr. Lockyer, Mr. Davis, stop trying to turn back the hands of time. As
President Bush once said, "You're either with us or against us." Do you think
that 77 million of us will get out to vote? You better believe it. And if we
all enroll one friend that's going to be 144 million, and so on.

Budget crises? I don't think there would be one if Mr. Davis hadn't let the
energy companies run loose. Tax Junk food, Tax Alcohol. As I said before,
where there's a will there is a way to fund all the programs -- there's a way
to fix all the sidewalks. Please pull the Barden v. Sacramento Supreme Court
case off the docket, and rethink your ideas.

Sincerely,
Tamar Raine