C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:00:54 -0700
Mike,

Sterilization of PWD's was practiced in the US as recently as the 1960's, I
think in either North or South Carolina.  My Mom did her nurses training at
the University of Iowa from 1947 to  1951, and part of it was at what was
referred to as "The Hospital School," which was a residential school and
treatment facility for PWD's, and girls with disabilities were often
sterilized, although I'm pretty sure it was with parental consent.  Back in
the late 70's my mom and I had some interesting discussions about this, as I
was very uncomfortable with where the line would be drawn as far as degree
of disability.  At that time, Mom defended the practice, but after Janet and
I got married, she came around 180 degrees.  Janet was a student at the UI
Hospital School in 1966 and 1967, as the small town (pop. 3000) she was from
in Iowa didn't have the OT and PT services she needed at the time.

--

Kendall

depends on the unreasonable man.

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950