C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 14:52:17 -0700
Christine,

I've worked directly in the disabilities field since graduating from college
(with two exceptions), so my experience is a bit skewed, but basically at
the end of the interview when it's to the "Do you have any questions" part,
I'll bring up any accomodations I might need to do the job.  The hiring
entity isn't supposed to ask about those until you're hired, but I figure if
an employer is going to be uncomfortable with making accomodations, I'd
rather know up front.

In all my employment situations, all my employers have been willing to
provide necessary accomodations, and it's worked out well.  I've gone to a
couple of interviews where it was obvious that the employer was
uncomfortable with my disability, but both of these were for lower wage
summer jobs while I was going to college, so it didn't bother me too much to
not get the jobs.

I just did a disability etiquette presentation to a college class of speech
path/audiology majors, and talked about clients or family members who might
have disabilities, and didn't mention the potential of co-workers with
disabilities explicitly.  Next time I'll have to do that!

On 3/5/07, Christine Ode <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am looking for a Speech Pathology position. There are countless
> settings I can work in and I haven't ruled anything out. Right now it's
> a lot of sending resumes without having the benefit of an application to
> write on, but I do like the idea of asking about the stairs...Thanks
>
> Christine

Kendall