C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. STEPHEN MARGOLIS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 03:38:40 -0500
Perk and Denise,

As "beings" are we all or only "states of mind?"  What would have been
gained by answering "Yes" or "No?"  Does the straight forward satisfy more
than the indirect?  I wasn't dismissing Perk, merely trying to get out for
the day and leave the thought open for her or, in this case, you to ponder
until my return.

Trisha a day or two back gave the standard definition about the CP brain
injury being static.  In light of recent research there seems little static
about the brain (perhaps too much "static" in human thinking).  Who knows of
any research reassessing Trisha's assumption?  Be there much matter whether
our brain injuries are static or dynamic?  Something accelerates changes and
disruptions throughout our bodies.  For sure that's become evident in our
discussions.

CP Anonymous.  I too had seen myself standing (Hah!  Now I'd be in my
wheelchair.) on stage, hands in pockets trying to keep my arms from flailing
saying: "Hi, My name's Steve, and I am a CP Mix (a good sampling of each
type, like Planter's Cocktail Mix)."

After a rousing "Hi, Steve," an absolutely gorgeous woman "manifesting"
spastic tri-plegia cerebral palsy stands to say, "you mean 'HAVE' Cerebral
Palsy."  "'BEING' is a state of mind.  Besides.  You're not all and only
your disability!"

Margolis starts to wriggle on the stage, tugging at his pockets, struggling
to get at least one hand out, yet trying to pose as if not struggling.  His
face sparkles sweat and dark begins to spread around his arm pits.  He's
looking at one "Hot Mamma" and he ain't sure to stand ground or retreat.

"Well...Have...Am...Semantics," he tries to keep the pleading from his
voice.  "Perhaps there's not that much of a distinction?"  "You know: Like
whether you have or are your gender, race, religion, clothes, education,
class, money: you fess up, make your labels and parts work, honor  them and
use them."

"A twenty year old says the other day she thought CP was 'great' and I'm
think 'What a difference 38 years makes.'  How can she accept what I spent
so long denying?"

"I mean if I say I am..."  Here Margolis finally to the relief of many in
the crowd, who were beginning to fidget and look around the room, gets his
left hand out of his pants pocket, pulls the pocket inside out and spills a
dozen or so half yellow/blue capsules.  The clatter draws immediate focus
from many other directed eyes.  Margolis watches his interlocutor spread an
enigmatic smile, his already jumping left arm flailing faster.

"If I say I "am" I mean that I take full...responsibility...for my CP, don't
evade, try to free it from negative meaning and feeling so I can live with
the condition more pro-actively, less reactively."  Margolis shoots a look,
hoping he gets at least two points.  She reads a book, bounces to whatever
pulses through the earphones she now wears.

"Guess that's about all for now."  Margolis turns to leave the stage.  A
voice yells "Don't step on your pills!"  Margolis startles, looks down,
asks, "Could someone help me pick them up?"
The group surges forward to grab pills.  "Hot Mamma" continues to read and
bounce.

"Down and dirty," Perk.  I am-have-with Cerebral Palsy.  Since a few days
after birth.  Wasn't supposed to survive the hemorrhage.  They told my
mother, not me, that I might die.  Guess what I didn't know didn't kill me.

Perk: Hope I've answered your question.  Denise?

Steve M.