C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gary Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:55:35 -0800
   DVS® FAQ

   What is Descriptive Video Service?
   Descriptive  Video  Service  (DVS)  is  a  national service that makes
   television  programs,  feature  films,  home  videos, and other visual
   media  accessible to people who are blind or visually impaired. DVS is
   part of the Media Access Group at WGBH. DVS was launched nationally in
   1990  by  the WGBH Educational Foundation, producer of many prime-time
   public television programs and leader in the development of accessible
   media.
   What elements of a program do you describe?
   We  describe  key  visual  elements  in a program that a viewer who is
   blind  or  visually impaired would ordinarily miss. Actions, costumes,
   gestures,  and scene changes are just a few of the elements that, when
   described,  engage  the  viewer  with  the  story.  Our describers are
   experienced writers and researchers. When they encounter visual images
   that are unfamiliar to them, they take the time to research and create
   description  that  give  the  viewer  a more complete image of what is
   happening  onscreen, without interfering with the audio or dialogue of
   a program or movie.
   How does a viewer watch DVS on television?
   A viewer must live within range of a station that carries DVS and have
   a  stereo  TV  or  a stereo VCR that includes the Second Audio Program
   (SAP)   feature,   standard  on  most  newer  stereo  televisions  and
   videocassette recorders. Inexpensive receivers that convert TV sets to
   stereo  with SAP also can be purchased. Viewers who subscribe to cable
   or  satellite  TV  should ask the distributor to "pass through" stereo
   with SAP.
   Where are DVS television broadcasts available?
   DVS  television  broadcasts  are regularly available on CBS, Fox, PBS,
   Nickelodeon, and Turner Classic Movies.
   Which feature films are playing with DVS? Which theaters have DVS?
   Visit  [31]www.mopix.org  for  a  complete  list  of  films  that  are
   available  with  DVS  and  for a list of theaters across North America
   that  are  equipped  with  the MoPix® system, DVS Theatrical( and Rear
   Window( Captioning.
   How does a viewer get described movies on home video?
   More  than 200 described popular Hollywood movies and PBS programs are
   available  for  purchase  by  direct  mail  through the DVS Home Video
   Catalogue®.  A  viewer needs only a regular VHS videocassette recorder
   (VCR)   and   a   television  to  watch  these  videos  and  hear  the
   descriptions.  The  SAP  feature  is not required. DVS Home Videos are
   also  available for loan at many public libraries. Gone with the Wind,
   The Wizard of Oz, Gladiator, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
   are  among  our  most  popular  titles.  Check  out our DVS Home Video
   Catalogue and see what's new today!
   What is the process of Descriptive Video Service?
   Describers  watch the program and write a script describing key visual
   elements.  They  carefully  time  the  placement  and  length  of  the
   description  to  fit  within  natural  pauses in the dialogue. After a
   script  is completed, it is edited by a post-production supervisor for
   continuity,  clarity, and style conventions. Narration is recorded and
   mixed with the original program audio in a unique "mix to pix" process
   to create a full DVS track.
   The  DVS track is then laid back to the master either on a spare audio
   channel  (for  broadcast)  or to a separate DVS master (for home video
   distribution).  This  layback process can be done either by DVS or the
   producer/distributor.   (For  descriptions  intended  for  the  MoPix®
   environment and DVS Theatrical, a full program mix is not created. The
   descriptions are kept as a separate track and delivered to theaters as
   part of the DTS motion picture sound track.)
   What special skills do describers have?
   Describers  are  a  diverse  group  of  individuals, among them former
   educators,  writers,  trained  musicians,  and  avid  travelers.  They
   possess  degrees  in  a  variety  of  fields, but share key skills for
   describers.  They  must  be  tireless  researchers, demonstrate strong
   writing   skills,  and  be  very  detail-oriented.  When  hired,  each
   describer undergoes an extensive training program.
   Where do you find narrators, and are they union?
   WGBH  Educational  Foundation,  the  parent  organization of the Media
   Access  Group  at  WGBH  and  DVS,  is  a  signatory  to SAG and AFTRA
   contracts. When union talent is required, we have a large selection of
   SAG  and  AFTRA  narrators  from which to choose. (We also continue to
   receive demo and audition tapes from potential new narrators.) The fee
   for  talent  is  not  an  extra  charge,  but is included in our total
   description service fee.
   How long does it take to describe a program?
   The  time it takes to describe a program and the cost for each program
   varies.   Our  sales  and  marketing  staff  will  work  with  you  to
   accommodate  your  turn-around  needs  and to meet your deadlines. For
   more  information,  please  contact  the marketing staff in one of our
   three offices:
   Boston
   Carl Richardson
   Phone: 617-300-3336
   E-mail: [32][log in to unmask]
   New York
   Susan Schneider
   Phone: 212-490-3677
   E-mail: [33][log in to unmask]
   Los Angeles
   Michelle Maddalena
   Phone: 818-562-3344
   E-mail: [34][log in to unmask]
   Can descriptions be reformatted?
   Yes,  descriptions  can be reformatted, and should be, whenever a show
   is  changed  or  edited. For example, if a producer wishes to describe
   and televise a film initially described on home video, the description
   track  for the film would need to be reformatted to include commercial
   blacks.
   What  production  materials  should  I  provide  to  Descriptive Video
   Service?
   You  will need to construct the following DVS work materials from your
   master  (note  that  all  time  code  must  match the time code on the
   master):
     * 3/4" U-matic tape with matching elements and code
     * Visible time code, upper third, keyed (no box)
     * Matching time code on address track
     * Audio ch. 1 = program audio, mono mix
     * Audio ch. 2 = audible time code
     * Time-coded  DAT  (Digital  Audio  Tape) with matching elements and
       code
     * Stereo program audio
     * 48 kHz sampling rate
     * Final script

   Do  you  have  to lower the levels of source audio for the description
   narrator?
   We   dip  source  audio  only  when  our  narrator  is  speaking.  Our
   descriptions  are carefully crafted and applied so as not to interfere
   with the dialogue or soundtrack of the program.
   What  will  High Definition Television mean to DVS? Will it change the
   delivery format/process?
   High  Definition  Television  (HDTV)  will not dramatically change the
   process of creating descriptions. If there are changes, they will most
   likely be in how descriptions are transmitted.