C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:21:18 -0600
That was a good school experience and mine was similar altho it was
in  a city and altho my family did not have much money most of the
kids were from well heeled families. I think because of my age (62)
there were no discipline problems either. We were taught and we
learned. To my knowledge no one was ever spanked or paddled.
Studies show paddling is bad for a child's self esteem and I agree
with www.nospank.org  that passing laws against it are best. Most
civilized countries have done so, the US has not. A highlight of my
life was giving an address in NY that Alice Miller was supposed to
give but she could not make it in from Switzerland. She is considered
the worlds foremost child psychologist, one of the first to deal with
children's issues.
I've worked cases in states where spanking is allowed and they killed
a kid years ago, and covered it up, others were brutally beaten.
Studies also show  that the brain develops differently when kids are
brutalized at home or in school or sexually abused. Physical and
sexual violence towards children often goes hand in hand. So if you
teach corporal punishment is wrong it sets a different standard, a
humane and compassionate one.
And check out Moses Lake WA if you think rural kids live good
citizenship cause I've worked cases where the murder rate (kid on kid
and adult to kid) in rural areas is off the charts. Many murders in
farm areas are covered up as farm accidents or simply accepted by
authorities as accidents when they are not. We are documenting these
in polygamy for instance. I guarantee you a lot of those East
European and Appalachian kids you went to school with were being
brutalized at home. it is simply a well covered up phenomenon.