C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 22:54:07 -0800

> The focus of the schools was different too. Whilst main stream
> schools tend to focus on academic achievement, since their
> measurement of success is examination result based, the Special
> Ed schools had a higher purpose, fitting their students for life
> after school. Academic success was not achievable by a
> significant number of the students in Special Ed, but I certainly
> benefitted from their friendship.

I think Deri has made an excellent point here. Alex turned 5 today. He has
been in special since he was 5 mo old. He has multiple issues outside of
just muscle/mobility. In Special Ed, with the smaller class size they are
able to really try and accommodate/work out solutions for those issues. It
seems to be working to. At the start of preschool 3 years ago, he was
labeled XSI ( severely multiply impaired). Over the three years we got many
medical issues under control and his labeled has gone from XSI to TMI to
just recently EMI. I do think the final label he ends up with as far as
school goes will be LD and POHI. There are many times I really feel that
many parents push to mainstream the kid because it gives the parents the
impression that things are ok or at least better. Ideally, I think the best
situation for Alex would  be part mainstream but Special Ed for whatever he
may need in academics. I really try to remember this isn't about me and my
feelings but what would be best for Alex in the long run. Deri certainly
seems to have benefited from such a set up.
Joanne