C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill K Ach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:23:05 EDT
Dear Bobby,

I would respond.  My wife Robin and I are cerebral palsied from birth.  I
classify Robin as hemiplegic, as her right side is affected.  She is also
spastic, her spastcity affecting her upper and lower digestive tracts, in
that she has occasional difficulty in swallowing and has a tendency
toward constipation, and is taking Lactulose and calcium magnesium
multivitamins to correct her lower bowels. She displays very little
ataxia or athetosis, but she has a seizure condition which she controls
very well with Tegretol, and she is under close supervision of her
primary care physician and a neurologist.

I, on the other hand, have considerable ataxia and spasticity in my lower
extremities and must use a sock aid and a dressing stick to pull on socks
and trousers.  Robin assists me with my left shoe, while I can pull on my
right shoe, but I must pull my right leg over my left leg to draw the
shoe on.

We both have balance and coordination problems; mine are more severe than
Robin's.  Our speech is clear and we are able to communicate without
minimal, if any, effort.  We both volunteer 10 hours per week at the Wake
Forest University Baptist Medical Center and Robin personally escorts
visitors and their families to their doctors and clinics, as a lobby
hostess for Information and Admissions and she literally walks all over
the Medical Center.  I am a volunteer librarian at a resource center for
the Section on Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine.

In short, Robin is spastc and hemiplegic, while I am spastic and ataxic,
and quadriplegic, as I have limited use of both hands.  My CP is largely
concentrated in my lower extremities.

We regret we have been so dilatory in posting to the discussion group.
We paint a lot, produced seven artworks within the last year, one of
which was scanned into the document that contained my late
father-in-law's autobiography and have entered three of those art works
into a local juried show for artists with disabilities.  We work in
acrylics and produce landscapes and seascapes, sing in our church choir
and participate in activities in our retirement home, singing with their
vocal group among those activities.

I will do a better job in future of responding to messages received by
the group.
Sincerely.
Robin and Bill Ach

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 20:36:48 EDT "BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Hey Guys,
>
>    I am just tallying up the responses to the survey Carla did and I
>only
>downloaded 10 completed surveys. Not a great response for a list with
>300+
>members.
>
>    I am considering a new survey with "check-off" responses, compared
>open
>ended responses which characterized the one done earlier.
>
>    For those of you unfamiliar with different types of question, here
>is an
>example of the same question worded in the 2 different forms:
>
>    Qpen ended:
>
>    "Name the degree and type of CP you have."
>
>    Check-off type:
>
>    "Type of CP
>
>        Spastic
>
>        Athetoid
>
>        Ataxic
>
>        Mixed
>
>    Location
>
>        Quadriplegia
>
>        Hemiplegia
>
>        Diplegia
>
>        Other"
>

>    Bow how many of you would repond to such a survey?
>

>Bobby

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.