C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 01:19:34 EDT
Joanne,

    My reading of the study says that CP is NOT static, in that it does
worsen as a result of the aging process. It does not speak to whether a child
is encouraged or not encouraged during their early development. There is
certainly not enough empirical research at this point to speak to the effects
of encouraging or not encouraging as child in their early years. The main
point these researchers are saying, IMHO, is what we already know. Parents
are now told CP does not "get worse" in the sense that the brain injury
precipitating the disability does not worsen. However, the aging process has
an exacerbating effect on the functional aspects of the disability.

Bobby