C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 13:48:35 -0600
Mike,

I'm a left hemi, so the only modifications I need to actually drive are
an automatic transmission, a steering wheel knob, and a lever to extend
the turn signal lever to the right.

A couple of things that are available that would be nice are a steering
wheel mounted switch to turn on/off the headlights, and rain-sensing
windshield wipers.  I get around the headlight issue by leaving them on
all the time (I've got a '99 Dodge Caravan, so they turn off
automatically after five minutes or so if I forget).  There is a company
that makes an after-market automatic rain sensing windshield wiper
switch for about $150 that I'm strongly considering adding this summer.
Here's a link for those:

http://www.raintracker.com/

Since I' ve also developed a ton of orthopedic problems with my right
arm and ankle from using them "wrong" my whole life, I use a power
chair, so the van also has a lowered floor, power door (which doesn't
work well right now) and a ramp.  I also have a power seat, which makes
transferring a lot easier.

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950