C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 01:05:27 EDT
Hi all,

I am on summer vacation right now and got this idea to buy a tricycle to get
around campus more easily in the fall. I am at a local university. Now,
here's the problem:

1. The trike weighs a ton (between 65 and 75 pounds).
2. I drive a normal car, a Saturn 4 door car without any modifications
attached.
3. I can't lift a lot of weight so I don't know if I would be able to lift
the bike or not. I am going to be checking this out in the next few days when
I go to check out a few more models. (So far, I have been able to lift the
front end of all of the upright tricycles that I have tried. The back ends
have been no problem with holding onto the basket, but a little more
difficult with just holding onto the wheels.) I can't ride the upright
tricycles because the seats have been too uncomfortable for me. I am looking
for a recumbent style seat or a tractor seat.
4. So far, I have determined that the front wheel would have to be removed
all the time while transporting which can be done.
5. I am in the process of checking out bike racks, electrical scooter lifts,
and etc.

The bike dimensions with the wheels are 80 inches long, 35 inches wide. It
may be about 70" without the front wheel, possibly shorter.

6. So far as of right now, I have tried the following bikes and they are not
comfortable for me either because of the seat or difficult for me to get on
and off: Trailmate brand: Low Rider, De Soto Classic. Workman: Adult Lite
Trike, Port O' Trike, and the Schwinn Turko. I do need a trike with a low
cross bar so that I can get in and out easily and not too low to the ground
with a very comfortable seat.
Right now, it seems like I am the first person in history with this need,
LOL. So maybe I am starting a new trend. :-))

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am NOT interested in getting an
electric scooter because I want to be able to lose weight and keep my
mobility. I have NO need for a scooter at this moment. I LOVED the feeling of
freedom that I got when I tried the bike at the Abilities Expo here in
California. This bike was the first most comfortable outdoor bike I have
ridden in years.

Dina