C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jeremy Persen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:28:57 +1300
Hi Deri,

I am a lurker and (very) occasional poster to this list, but your comments about CP and depth
perception got me interested.

I have trouble with depth perception, while driving I usually under estimate the speed and
distance of approaching vehicles and give way when I could safely turn across their path.  I am
aware of this, and because I think on coming traffic is closer than it is, I am erring on the safe
side, so it isn't too serious.

Where it causes trouble is on my trike when I am riding off-road.  On the flat or uphill I can
perceive pot holes and uneven patches in the ground fairly well.  However, going downhill, with
the ground falling away, the track looks smooth, I can't see potholes.  Upright trikes are fairly
unstable, so it doesn't take much of a pothole to flip them over, which makes riding down forest
tracks at speed an interesting exercise.

Can someone please explain how CP affects depth perception?  I am curious about how the two
relate.
Thanks,

Jeremy

On 28 Nov 01, at 22:49, Deri James wrote about Re: balance and growing up with CP:

> Some CPers (my  wife included) have problems with depth perception.
> It must be very scary. So although she has better control of her
> limbs, she has problems walking without some sort of support.
>
> Cheers
>
> Deri

Jeremy Persen, Nelson, New Zealand
Email: [log in to unmask]

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one.