C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 11:41:03 -0500
Vera,

        I am sorry to be getting back to you so late. It is a shame about
Charlotte's late diagnosis. My parents had the good fortune of meeting a
neurosurgeon named Lewis M. Helfer in a charity clinic in '42. He saw me
until I was 21 yo. He never did any procedures but gave my mother insight
into things
she could do to help me. For example, I had poor speech due to poor breathe
control. He recommended singing lessons to teach me better breathing
control.
It worked well 'til the singing teacher committed suicide(not really, just
kidding!) LOL. Helfer never once billed my parents!
        Helfer was a God send to us. He and my Mom visted back in '97, just
before his death.

Bobby