C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:48:08 EST
MITCH ALBOM: Schiavo issue looms larger than all of us

BY MITCH  ALBOM
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

As a person of faith, I can speak  to God, but I can't speak for Him. I don't
know His desires for Terri  Schiavo.

But I bet He can spell her name.

That's  more than you can say for certain politicians, who last week drafted
a memo to  jump on the Schiavo bandwagon. The memo called it an "exciting"
issue that would  appeal to the Republican conservative base, while putting a
moral squeeze on  Democratic enemies.

Sadly, in their zeal to get things going,  they spelled "Terri" wrong. They
used one "r." But then, the woman doesn't  really matter, does she? It's the
votes!

What a world we now  inhabit. In one week's time we had a president, who
vigilantly supports a war  and the death penalty, fly to Washington, virtually in
his pajamas, to "err on  the side of life." We had senators like Bill Frist
make medical examinations  from watching a videotape. We had figures like Tom
DeLay -- whose list of  ethical violations could fill a church pew -- accuse
Schiavo's husband, whom  he'd never met, of being the worst kind of louse.

"What kind of  man is he?" DeLay asked.

Funny. We were wondering the same thing  about you.

No one should be a political pawn

Last I  checked, politicians were elected, not canonized. They were beholden
to the law,  not a sermon. And while most voters appreciate a religious or
moral code in  their representatives, they are sending them to Washington to
govern America,  not heaven.

What if Terri Schiavo's parents had wanted her  feeding tube removed? Would
we still have Congress rushing to make a law that  mentions one woman by name?

Of course not. But why not? If it's  wrong to remove that tube, it's wrong no
matter who wants it done,  right?

The reason you'd see no action is because there'd be no  traction,
politicians couldn't get a grip, there'd be no angle, no hook, no  video, no tearful
family faces to exploit and -- most important -- no activist  groups to offer a
political windfall.

The truth is, the Schiavo  case became interesting to politicians only after
Terri's immediate family  aligned itself with anti-abortion and Christian
conservative groups, who used  the issue to galvanize their members as well as
raise  money.

Members and money mean clout and votes. And suddenly --  what a shock --
politicians care. Suddenly, they're calling judges "murderers."  Suddenly, they're
crafting memos. Suddenly, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, despite doing  nothing for
years, finds a last-second doctor and wants the State of Florida to  commandeer
Schiavo's care, as if he's God's hand, staying Abraham from killing  Isaac.

What would we do?

When I was sitting with  Morrie Schwartz, as he died from Lou Gehrig's
disease, we had a discussion about  the end of his life. He told me if he couldn't
communicate, couldn't tell people  he loved them, couldn't hold their hands or
exchange meaningful thoughts, he  wouldn't want to be kept alive. He'd want
his loved ones to end  it.

I didn't get it in writing. It was just something we  discussed. But I know
what he said, and I know he was sincere. I wonder now, if  Morrie slipped into
a vegetative state, would a politician claim he knew  better?

In the end, this was a family dispute, an issue facing up  to 35,000 families
right now who have members in similar states as Terri  Schiavo. It should
have stayed that way. It didn't. The real shame is that two  parties who claim to
love Terri Schiavo can't get past their hate for one  another.

Last week, I heard a preacher say, "If it were truly  God's will that Terri
live, she wouldn't need a feeding tube." It makes you  realize, if this were
100 years ago, we wouldn't have a debate, because death  would have already
come. It also reminds you that these issues are big, bigger  than you or me,
bigger than all of us, and certainly beyond the reach of  politicians who can't be
bothered to get a dying woman's name  right.

Copyright © 2005 Detroit Free Press Inc.