C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:30:44 -0600
Ken,

Since my bachelor's degree was in political science, it's bothered me
that Cheney used a "paper" residence to skirt the Constitutional
requirement that the president and vice president be from different
states.  It was, however, a brilliant piece of political gamesmanship.
Dick Cheney came into the 2000 campaign with little verifiable political
baggage from the Republican viewpoint, and a truckload of experience in
Washington that George W. didn't have.  Also, if something of import was
found, he could have been dumped with little political consequence.

That being said, if the vice presidential candidate had come from a
state with more electoral clout than Wyoming (and a different state than
the standard bearer), the whole "contested election" mess might have
been avoided.

The no-bid contract issue seemed to be an ill-advised political move,
which surprised me coming out of Cheney's office.  I've always viewed
him as the consummate political professional.  If the Republican ticket
had been reversed in 2000, I would have had no problems voting for it.
I have more in common with Dick Cheney than the liberals on the list
(myself included)
;-{)} would be comfortable with.  I graduated from the same high school
he did 14 years after his graduation.  We were both student body
presidents of that school, too.

Kendall
An unreasonable man.  (But my wife says all men are)

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950