C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:44:16 +0800
I read an email on another list a few weeks ago (wish I'd kept it)
about this situation, and people with communication devices were
having problems, because airport staff were unfamiliar with the
devices, and were suspcious about the nature of their use.

In answer to Betty's original question, on one hand I wouldn't have a
problem with airport staff checking over my scooter or quad cane -
especially given the present situation, provided it was done with
courtesy and respect for my comfort and safety (even though I get
REALLY twitchy when someone I don't know fiddles with my scooter), as
long as the rest of the passengers' are checked as thoroughly.  But
there is a risk for people using assistive devices that the
gen. public are unfamiliar with, esp. electronic communicators.
Because most people are unfamiliar with these devices, there is a risk
of people in possesion of being treated with more suspicion.  As with
most difficulties we all face one of the solutions to this is better
education of the gen. public and airport staff in this specific
situation.

Rayna
(Cor blimey....wot a serious and coherent response from me, and first
thing on a Monday morning too!)