C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 16:47:17 -1000
What you are describing sounds a lot like something called explosive
disorder. I don't know that much about it but it can probably be
researched on the web. It is possible that a doctor needs to review
the meds this person is on to see if any side effects could be causing this.
It also sounds like these occurrences often happen when the confined
person feels they have lost even more control over their lives in
that staff is not responsive enough to how or what they would like
done rather than staff doing what they think should be done. I know a
few people with explosive disorder and it is very disconcerting for
the person it is directed towards. The person having the explosion
usually forgets it much faster than the person it is directed
towards. It usually can be managed by letting the person alone to
regain control of him/herself. It is similar to a tantrum in young
children. It is also possible these explosions are a way the brain is
trying to amp up some chemical that is excreted when angry and is
lacking in the system. (This is my own thought and no at all from any
medical training).
Some training to gain more control over self seems warranted as this
is having a bad consequence for the person who wants to live on their
own. Possibly they do not want to live on their own and do not know
how to express it. I think it would help when the person is calm and
possibly remorseful to see if one could figure out exactly what is
setting it off.

At 03:51 PM 9/14/2007, you wrote:e