C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:19:19 EDT
Good day-

I don't think that IQ tests should be done at all on people with CP--at least
not the way they are currently used. The only way that you get accurate
results when you do one of those on a person with CP is if the examiner
really KNOWS about the disability in the first place and KNOWS what he/she is
doing.  This dosn't often happen in the public school systems and it is to
our detriment because they use those things to place kids with disabilities
often with out understanding the disability for it's self and it is hard for
the students/parents to fight a peace of paper.

The last time I was tested I was psych tested for the colleges disability
services and the PhD phycologist who did it did a really good job even
skiping parts of the tests that would not come out accuratly becasue of
physcial limitations.  Often that is not the case when they are done in K-12.

I just don't think public schools have the time and resourcees and patients
it takes to do the testing right and they are looking at it more for
placement and cost controll then necessarily what will help the student be
most productive, which is unfortunet.  Let's face it, it is a lot less
expensive to stick a bright kid whith sever physical disability in a special
ed room than to assign and pay an aid, or make adaptions so the person can be
in the mainstreem class room part or all of the time.

But thankfully the parents and studnets have the right to protest the schools
findings and if you don't agree with the recomendations don;t sign off on the
IEP until you and the school agree with services that you and your child know
are correct for your child.

P.S. I started participating in my IEPs in 7th grade.

Anee

In a message dated 9/18/1999 10:16:40 AM Central Daylight Time,