C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brent Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:04:03 -0400
Michael Collis wrote:

> Did the college tell you you couldn't major in music?  If not, why
> didn't you? At least you'd have the satisfaction of knowing you tried
> it  I'm sure the professors would've worked with you.

Going back on my word, yes. But this I felt had to be addressed.

No one told me I couldn't major in music. No one had to. One cannot major in
music if one cannot play most musical instruments. Duh. This is not some
kind of "reasonable accomodation" issue. If you physically cannot do the
tasks that make up (in this case) something like 85% of the requirements for
the performance portion of the degree, then it's rather pointless. Even if
some school in a fit of feel-good political correctness had given me a pass,
the degree would have been worthless in the job market, and I would have
always known I didn't have a "real" music degree.

Brent