C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:25:01 -0400

________________________________

From: Cerebrum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 14:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cerebrum: The Dana Forum on Brain Science - August 2009

Dear Cerebrum Reader,
A new article and a new book review have been added to Cerebrum's 2009 Web
edition.

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>
 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,6me7,esjt,dlq4,m3a0>

Using Deep Brain Stimulation on the Mind: Handle with Care
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,6me7,esjt,dlq4,m3a0>

By Mahlon R. DeLong, M.D.

The success of deep brain stimulation in treating movement disorders has led
to investigations of its use for psychiatric illnesses. While the technique
shows early promise in the treatment of depression and obsessive-compulsive
disorder, Dr. Mahlon DeLong, M.D., a pioneer in the field, cautions both
doctors and patients to be aware of the risks in using this promising but
still unproven method of mind alteration.

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>
 <http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,7ga4,f6r4,dlq4,m3a0>

BOOK REVIEW

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/spacer.gif>

The Neuro Revolution: How Brain Science Is Changing Our World
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,7ga4,f6r4,dlq4,m3a0>

By Zack Lynch, with Byron Laursen

St. Martin's Press, 2009

Reviewed by Michael F. Huerta, Ph.D.

The Neuro Revolution, by Zack Lynch, explores how neurotechnological
advances push humanity toward greater heights and greater responsibilities,
shaping our societies and our world. In his review, Dr. Michael F. Huerta, a
lead neurotechnology researcher at the National Institutes of Health,
compliments Lynch's ability to balance his excitement for the future with
the need to remain within the realm of scientific probability.

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

Also in Cerebrum
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,hj7i,g4q3,dlq4,m3a0>

We hope you enjoyed our recent article, "Why So Many Seniors Get Swindled,"
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,ekna,d6je,dlq4,m3a0>
by Natalie L. Denburg, Ph.D., with Lyndsay Harshman, and the review of How
We Decide
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,7rwo,8d1d,dlq4,m3a0> ,
by Jonah Lehrer, reviewed by Scott A. Huettel, Ph.D.. These and all
1998-2009 articles and book features are available in our Web edition
archive
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,5xld,izb3,dlq4,m3a0> .

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/separator.gif>

Available Now
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,gwl,2fo0,dlq4,m3a0>

Cerebrum 2009: Emerging Ideas in Brain Science includes the hot topics
covered in Cerebrum's Web edition in 2008. The book includes a foreword by
Thomas R. Insel, M.D., director of the National Institute of Mental Health,
as well as a "classic" article on neuroeconomics from Cerebrum's print
archives. Read more here.
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,4k12,mfyg,dlq4,m3a0>

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>
Dana Press
<http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/logo_danapress.gif>
Cerebrum - Opinion on brain science that can change your mind
A Dana Press publication 	[log in to unmask]
202-408-8800
http://www.dana.org/news/cerebrum/
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,hj7i,g4q3,dlq4,m3a0>

 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/divider.gif>
 <http://www.dana.org/uploadedImages/Images/emails/btn_email.gif> Update
Your Profile, Subscriptions, or E-mail Address
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,8ile,9r0g,dlq4,m3a0>
Unsubscribe instantly by sending an e-mail to:
Privacy Policy
<http://email.dana.org/c.html?rtr=on&s=awru,hqq0,594,m8xt,atco,dlq4,m3a0>

Cerebrum | 900 15th St., NW | Washington | DC | 20005

<http://email.dana.org/images/mlopen_post.html?rtr=on&siteid=509034&mid=8277
84&mlid=6808&uid=9af3cfba18>

database 4343 (20090817) __________

http://www.eset.com