C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:25:11 -0500
Read the work of Harry Harlow of U. of Wisconsin, which is now cited in
every basic psych. text. He did a study with baby monkeys. Half of the
monkeys had "mothers" made of terry cloth and wire and half had humans
"mothers" that stroked and patted them. Both sets of "mothers" provided
ample food. They monkeys with terry cloth mothers were fearful, neurotic,
did not bond and could not reproduce when they reached maturity. In
orphanages where newborns are left uncuddled, they die of a phenomena term,
"marasmus", lack of warmth and touch.
Ashley Montague wrote a treatise on "Human Skin: the Significance of Touch"