C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 14:46:28 -0600
Mike,

I'd be glad to hear your take on it, and how what Linda wrote was not an
attack on the LDS church.

In answer to one of Linda's questions, a good friend is an LDS High
Priests group leader.  He had a member of the group he led come to him
concerned about an acquaintance of his daughter's who was involved in an
abusive situation, and wondered what to do.  My friend instructed the HP
group member and his daughter to contact the State Police and local law
enforcement.  The girl was removed from the home, and the abuser was
excommunicated.

(Un?)Fortunately, the folks I know were not directly involved with the
Jeffs group, so weren't in a position to influence it.

Here's a link to the FBI's Most Wanted page on Jeffs
http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/fugitives/jeff_ws.htm

This page, admittedly by a Mormon, is interesting:
http://mormoninquiry.typepad.com/mormon_inquiry/2005/01/god_and_country.
html

The official LDS Church press release on the capture of Warren Jeffs:
http://www.lds.org/newsroom/showrelease/0,15503,3881-1-23938,00.html

---------snipped from your email-----------------------------------

I don't think Linda was attacking the LDS Church; she was attacking the
polygamists who make up the Fundamentalist LDS.  But if you want to know
my
take on this, I'll be happy to tell you off list Kendall...

------------snipped from Linda's rant------------------------------

The LDS in my opinion are guilty as sin for allowing this to go on
for so long. Renouncing something with one face while you turn your
back on the injustice and watch it proliferate in that church state
Utah is not ok with me. We've been trying to get the LDS to pay
attention to this for years and they swept it under the rug as long
as they could. Many died as a result of their self righteous
indifference. What did any one of your friends ever do to stop it?
See what I mean. I am mad as hell at the LDS and especially those in
positions to have done something. It's been a long hard road waking
them up. Now all they can do is say it's not us. Sorry, not good
enough. It is people from their own families who continued the
practice. Nearly all old time Mormons come from polygamy including
Senator Hatch who has pro polygamy stuff on his web site. You can't
believe how hard it's been to wake up the LDS. Nonetheless also
really happy he is caught and now the FBI needs to charge him up.
Before they fenced off the graveyard in there, I documented that over
50% of the graves were children under 10 and 58 graves were entirely
unmarked. It is a killing field in there and the public does not know
how really grievous it is yet but they will.
Imagine if the Army came across 58 unmarked baby graves, little
mounds in the sand in Iraq. There would be a huge outcry but we have
had a really difficult time getting people to listen. The FBI made
fun of Flora and I when we turned in our evidence to them. They
wanted nothing to do with it but we finally forced the issue. A few
activists ...

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950