C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jan Nottmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:39:36 -0500
Hi friends,

I am debating running for Student Government Association President at the
community college I go to.  I would be representing about 9,000 students
which would include "able" bodied and "disabled" students.  I have been
asking my close friends and all the feedback has been positive.  The acting
vice president (who will graduate in May along with the current president)
indicated to me that it would be a great idea enlightening the
administration when I roll into executive cabinet meetings.

I guess that would up the bar for disabled students.  I have been told a lot
of people at the college "think" that we the disabled just go there for fun
who never intend to make something of ourselves.  I DON'T know if that's the
case I have  been told that by friends.

I guess I am afraid of being elected and then not being able to do the job.
I believe that would be counter productive for myself and the other disabled
people on campus.  I want to do it but I guess you could say I am afraid of
failure.  My question to you all is should I run?

Jan

"Mental toughness and perseverance is the formula for success"
FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com