C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gary Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 21:55:05 -0700
Hi all,

I am very happy to let you all know that as of this last
Wednesday, after approximately 10 years I am once again
employed!!

I have a part time position (21 hours per week)  with the
California Regional Center.  We are a state wide organization who
work with developmentally disabled people.  As my position is
just newly created, I will be wearing several hats.  Among other
things  I will be assisting in organizing and conducting
disability awareness training as well as working with individuals
1 on 1.

As of this writing, I've just completed 3 full days of
orientation.  Not only did I have the challenge of learning how
to do my job, but  my biggest challenge was having to get up at 5
in the morning to take a very lonnnng 3 hour bus ride.  This
consisted  of having to take 3 buses just to get to work, and
returning home having to take the same 3 buses back.  For those
of you who do this on a daily basis, I commend you.  The 1 thing
I'm learning real fast, is that when traveling via public
transit,  timing is everything.  For example on my return trip if
I don't time it just right,  I might end up taking 4 buses
instead of 3.  I'm so glad that as of next week, the bulk of my
job will be based much closer to home.

So needless to say, as of last week, my life has changed
radically!!  I work 3 full days a week.  Although this leaves me
4 days for the rest of my life, that only leaves me 2 days to
accomplish those never ending chores that can only get done on a
week day.  So with that in mind, please forgive me if my
participation on the various lists here declines a bit over the
next few months.  Even though I'm only working 3 days a week
right now, I'm finding that I need to adjust all parts of my life
to accommodate my work schedule.  Also for those of you here who
live closer to home, if I've made plans to see you in the near
future, you will get a call and or Email from me soon to
reschedule.

Thanks to all of you who encouraged me to go ahead and try for
this job.  Without pushing me in the right direction, I might not
have even pursued it.  Thanks everyone!!

Take care-Gary