C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 00:03:11 EDT
You are too special Becky.  I will contact you privately about the website,
and I appreciate your interest!  I think there is a place for the program
too.  If for no other reason, I am certain that there is therapeutic value in
nature observation.  I don't necessarily mean that this is better for
children with physical disabilities in general than it is for the general
population of children -- psychological health being equal -- but many of us
do seem to have isolation issues.

I've noticed that when different groups gather together to look at the same
thing (like a snake eating a frog -- my personal favorite), the groups end up
naturally interacting with each other.  There is a subtle shift in focus.

Children who might be inclined to give me and my wheelchair a wide birth on
the street will come and stand right next to me when I am looking at a
"really cool" frog.  They enjoy the frog, but before they know it, they've
been close enough to the wheelchair to satisfy their curiosity.  We've
interacted, and disability loses some of its mystique.  They are closer to
realizing that disability -- as firemen would say -- "ain't nothin but a
thing."

All the way around this seems like a positive deal -- win-win.

I'll be in touch about the website -- thanks Becky!
Betty

In a message dated 05/14/2000 8:23:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,