C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 07:19:35 -0500
Hi Tracie!!
How your son's microcephaly affects him will depend on how small his head
is.  This is where research and clinical practice haven't quite met up.
I've seen children who were diagnosed with microcephaly who really were
missing major aspects of their brain, others who just had small heads.  Have
you had your son tested for mitochodrial or metabolic disorders?
Some children who have CP with other diagnosis may have one of these
difficulties.  The meaning to you, answers and occasionally treatment.  You
just have to have a good medical center that specializes in them to help you
out.  Depends on what part of the country you are in.  On the east coast
folks go to either Emory or Columbia Universities.
Myelin protects the nerve sheaths, it allows for faster transmission of
neurological impulses, it also tends to make sure they get to their intended
target.  This can sometimes cause delayed development and processing delays.
Processing delays are just the brain needing some extra time to figure out
what it needs to do.  For example, you hand something to your son count how
long it takes him to reach for it.  I have one little guy I work with
(unrelated diagnosis to cp), you has a 5-10 sec reaction time.

Beth t the OT