C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carla MacInnis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:48:08 -0800
Hi Cindy,

  I worked at home for many years, with a self-created business. Started
while I still worked for the Health Ministry, I worked only a few hours
each day, and weekends. I inputted university student papers. As my
business grew, I typed manuscripts for professors seeking tenure. I also
inputted manuscript material for two publishing houses. In addition, I
typed the Bar Admission Course material (a huge manual) for our provincial
Law Society.

  I advertised with flyers on the two university campuses, in addition to
putting an ad in the student newspapers. The going rate was $1.50/page - I
charged $1.25/page because my typing speed and turn-around time allowed me
to comfortably do that, to establish a client base. After first term, my
rates went up to $1.50. I did not, like my "competition" charge for
part-pages. If I had 3 short page, I'd group them together for a single
one-page price. The students liked that. I also charged 15% stress fee as
I called it for papers brought to me after 7 pm for next day submission.
Law Students and Physical Education students were my biggest customers
there :)

  The publishing houses paid anywhere from $3-5/page and $15/hour editing
afterwards as required.

  The Law Society work paid $15/hour inputting and $15/hour after editing.
I normally worked from 8 a.m. til 10 pm or so. On weekends, I'd work the
same hours. One has to be committed to meeting the needs of students, even
at the last minute. I had established myself right away as someone who
could get the job done. In fact, I knew all the various formats for the
different faculties - certain papers had to be presented a certain way or
the student lost marks. One year, in the month of November, I typed 22 one
hundred page forest management reports. This, in addition to my regular
faculty work (nursing, law, engineering, etc). I had to call the Director
of the Forestry Complex and and ask for an extension for purposes of
getting all papers completed. So that students didn't have the advantage
of editing their work after official due date, I'd put completed document
in a sealed envelope with my initials on the flap. Only the director knew
about that. Anyone who presented a tampered envelope got an F. It was my
way of ensuring that all students got an equal shot with their
submissions. In fact, I asked the director  if I might be awarded an
honorary degree. Sadly, he didn't go for that.

  I guess what I'm saying here is this - if you have a group of skills,
that together can develop into an at-home business, then go for it. In
some cases, you might get assistance from your Vocational Rehab Department
for computer, paper stock, advertising costs, etc. Worth a shot. Also,
getting your hands on "form and format" from the university faculties is
helpful. All my students picked up and dropped off their own material.

  Given that university work is essentially cyclical, I felt it necessary
to go after big contracts, like the book publishers. In fact, for one
company, that was looking for a replacement secretary during holidays, I
applied for the job and offered to work for free to show them my stuff. It
was an engineering company. They hired me for the term and even offered me
part-time at home work to pick up their slack.

  For doctors and lawyers, you would need to have ability to operate a
dictaphone, as most of their material is on tapes.

  Another way to utilize any sort of computer skills is to develop a
wedding invitation business. Find out what local places are offering, and
charge say 5% less. For university students planning a wedding, a 5%
reduction in such a cost is helpful.

  Hope this is of some use to some of you.

Cheers!

Carla
http://www.brunnet.net/terrier